Friday, August 31, 2012

The "Momiform" Diaries: Pattern Mixing

The "Momiform" Diaries: Pattern Mixing




This installment of "The 'Momiform' Diaries" is all about pattern mixing. I know this is a lot for some to handle but once you get the hang of it and you know what patterns to mix then you can turn that boring mom uniform into a serisously stylish but comfortable outfit.

The Shirt
top: bb dakota (this top is available online through urban outfitters ....but if you live in the triangle fab'rik has it $13 cheaper!!)
Start with the print on the shirt. If you feel more comfortable trying new things then don't be afraid to do a trendy print like this aztec blouse. If you aren't up for trying trends then stick to classics like stripes, polka dots and even subtle animal prints. (Note: prints that mix black and brown are genious for pattern mixing)
The Bottom
Shorts: Nicole Miller Indego Africa

Make sure that the pattern on the bottom is around the same size as the pattern on the top. Also, its important that the colors in both patterns "go" together but they don't have to match. I suggest starting with a top and shorts first so that the patterns don't overwhelm you, then you can move on to pants and such.
The Shoes
Shoes: Minnetonka Moccasins (avaiable pretty much everywhere these days but mine are from endless.com)
As with all "momiforms" cute, comfy shoes are a must...like these moccasins. But beware, I would only suggest moccasins when going for a tribal or western theme...if I see you out in them with an ill fitting t-shirt and mom jeans I will be seriously upset (does anyone remember when the 15 year old mall girls adopted that look?)
 The Finishing Touch
Necklace: Stella & Dot Lillith Fringe Necklace

To pull the look together an interesting statement necklace is the perfect touch...if you have time add some bangles and lipstick (but if you don't, which lets face it you probably won't, don't sweat it, you are a mom...you are pretty awesome already :) )



20 comments:

  1. Love your style!!!

    http://mademoiselleconomist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay seriously?! you are so fabulous it's almost to the point where i'm like, "REALLY?! CAN SHE GET MORE FABULOUS?!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's an incredible combination. I think, this is my favorite outfit made by you ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i just discovered your blog - the baby in the LV bag is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your mix of printed items and that neverfull is amazing!

    i'm your newest follower on gfc! please visit me and see if you want to follow too? i think you'll like my outfits :)

    www.dailydisguise.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this combination! These two prints together are gorgeous! And those shoes are the best & most comfy things EVER!!
    :)
    Allison
    A's Fashion Files
    Shop Kawaii Kitsch by A on Etsy!
    Win a $50 Giftcard from Mont Affair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS...2 hours later..haha! I just saw your comment about maybe ordering some of my glasses! So exciting!! let me know!! (still waiting on those darn collars!! hah!)
      :)
      Allison
      A's Fashion Files
      Shop Kawaii Kitsch by A on Etsy!
      Win a $50 Giftcard from Mont Affair!

      Delete
  7. I haven't tried pattern mixing yet but I'll definitely keep your tips in mind for when I do try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, honey! I really liked your blog, you have great photos! Now, I am your faithful follower! I really hope that you enjoy my blog and you will be my follower!)))) Miss you, kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you my dear are stunning - I love this outfit, perfect dose of fun pattern and comfort. I could live in my moccasins! Hope you are having a fun long weekend
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit and lovely shoes!
    Yhank you for comment on my blog!X

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow xxx love that set !!! and ur bag!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a unique print combo - I love it. You look stunning as always! :)

    - Victoria
    www.VICKITAS.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'aime beaucoup les minnetonka!
    Abonne toi, j'en ferais de même :)) http://awkwardanaconda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow glad to have found your awesome blog....that outfit is certainly a glamorous one for a chic mom like you...love the pattern mix!!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice outfit. I love how you mix and match those patterns. :) You're one cool and fashionable mom. :)

    Visit my blog and perhaps we could follow each other. I will follow you back. :)
    Gian by Design

    ReplyDelete