Friday, August 8, 2014
Foodie Friday- Farmer's Market Lemon Stratta
Farmer's Market Lemon Stratta
You will need:
1 eggplant (thinly sliced)
1 zucchini (sliced)
1 yellow squash (sliced)
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 package crumbled feta (if vegan just omit this)
1 package vegan mozzarella or regular mozzarella
1 1/2 cups white wine
balsamic vinegar/ glaze
crushed red pepper
This dish is several layers that you combine in a casserole dish. You can do all of the steps at the same time if you chose and have 4 different pans…or you can do them one at a time if its too overwhelming :) Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
1. Put your cherry tomatoes in a skillet and simmer them with the lid on until they start to burst, about 10 minutes. Move on to the next step while they are simmering
2. Next, the bottom layer of eggplant. Grill or sauté the eggplant with salt, crushed red pepper and lemon juice for about 5 minutes on each side or until soft. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and layer the eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the eggplant and top with lemon zest.
3. The next layer is the zucchini and squash. Sauté the sliced zucchini and squash with a little bit of salt and pepper. Add about half a cup of balsamic vinegar and let it reduce down till the liquid is gone. Add evenly to your casserole dish. Top with the package of feta.
4. Back to your simmering cherry tomatoes….add the 2 cloves of minced garlic and stir for about a minute. Next add a cup of the white wine and put the lid back on to let it reduce by half.
5. The next layer is the chickpeas. Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas to a saucepan and sauté with salt, pepper, paprika and lemon juice. Cook for about 5 minutes then add to the casserole dish. Top with lemon zest.
6. The last step is finishing the top layer of sauce. Once the wine reduces in the cherry tomato sauce add the package of vegan or regular mozzarella and let it start to melt, add the remaining 1/2 cup (or full cup if you desire) and stir frequently until the sauce melts together. Spread the sauce evenly over the casserole dish and put it in the over for about 45 minutes. Top with balsamic glaze and lemon slices.