|dress: vintage (loving this one) // shoes: 3.1 phillip lim (similar here) // choker: vanessa mooney (here) // sunnies: ray-ban (available here)|
Friday, August 29, 2014
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
|romper: urban outfitters (similar here) // kimono: castles couture (similar here) // shoes: isabel marant (similar here) // sunnies: ray ban (similar here)|
photos by common dove photography
There comes a point in everyone's life where you wake up and ask "when did THIS become my reality?" If your life feels out of balance or "off" then chances are it probably is.
After this realization the next question is "what do I do?". Do you stay and keep going through the motions because its the "right" thing to do? Do you remain complacent because it has become comfortable? Or do you take a chance and leap off into the unknown?
At the ripe age of 9 a valuable lesson came to me....you must experience pain in order to appreciate how beautiful life really can be. If you want to be genuinely happy then you must take that risk that life has more to offer you.
Yes, starting over and major life changes are terrifying.....but they are also exhilarating.....because for the first time in so long your future has not been decided for you....its now open and waiting for you to keep pushing ahead, And its nice to finally understand the quote "life begins at the end of your comfort zone......"
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
A lot of changes are about to take place in my life.....ones that I am not yet prepared to speak about.....but I do know one thing......whether it be intense pain... relief......or happiness.....I can feel again. Stay tuned for the next chapter of my journey.
Saturday, August 9, 2014
|jacket: stylemint (similar here)// shorts: american apparel (similar here) // shoes: shoemint (similar here) // bag: loeffler randall (here)|
photos by common dove photography.
My dearest Andrew,
Tomorrow is your third birthday... And now more than ever I have advice I need to pass down. And to tell you what advice you have given me.
First, everyone goes through loss, hard times and sacrifice in their life.... Never ask for lighter load but instead for a stronger back. Your pain does not define you..... How you deal with hardships makes you the person that you are.
Also, always be grateful for everything you have been blessed with. You are one seriously lucky little boy because so many people love and adore you and you bring such joy to all of our lives.
And now I must thank you for everything you have taught me. Before you I honestly didn't know how to enjoy life..... It wasn't until you and I were romping through the mud or dancing in the rain that I learned to fully embrace all this world has to offer.
You have also taught me how to love unconditionally and now more than ever I treasure the unconditional love you show me. I have never felt more important in my life than when you hug me and kiss me and say "I love you too, mommy."
You are my rock, my constant, my sunshine and my birthday wish for you is that you continue to love and embrace life as much as you do right now.... And also that life loves you right back with as much love and compassion.
I love you with all of my heart, Happy Birthday my sweet Doodle Bug.
|top: piperlime (similar here) // shorts: free people (available here) // shoes: shoemint (similar here) // bag: loeffler randall (here)|
"For a seed to achieve it's greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, it's insides come out and everything changes. To someone who doesn't understand growth, it would look like complete destruction"
Friday, August 8, 2014
Farmer's Market Lemon Stratta
You will need:
1 eggplant (thinly sliced)
1 zucchini (sliced)
1 yellow squash (sliced)
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 package crumbled feta (if vegan just omit this)
1 package vegan mozzarella or regular mozzarella
1 1/2 cups white wine
balsamic vinegar/ glaze
crushed red pepper
This dish is several layers that you combine in a casserole dish. You can do all of the steps at the same time if you chose and have 4 different pans…or you can do them one at a time if its too overwhelming :) Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
1. Put your cherry tomatoes in a skillet and simmer them with the lid on until they start to burst, about 10 minutes. Move on to the next step while they are simmering
2. Next, the bottom layer of eggplant. Grill or sauté the eggplant with salt, crushed red pepper and lemon juice for about 5 minutes on each side or until soft. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and layer the eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the eggplant and top with lemon zest.
3. The next layer is the zucchini and squash. Sauté the sliced zucchini and squash with a little bit of salt and pepper. Add about half a cup of balsamic vinegar and let it reduce down till the liquid is gone. Add evenly to your casserole dish. Top with the package of feta.
4. Back to your simmering cherry tomatoes….add the 2 cloves of minced garlic and stir for about a minute. Next add a cup of the white wine and put the lid back on to let it reduce by half.
5. The next layer is the chickpeas. Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas to a saucepan and sauté with salt, pepper, paprika and lemon juice. Cook for about 5 minutes then add to the casserole dish. Top with lemon zest.
6. The last step is finishing the top layer of sauce. Once the wine reduces in the cherry tomato sauce add the package of vegan or regular mozzarella and let it start to melt, add the remaining 1/2 cup (or full cup if you desire) and stir frequently until the sauce melts together. Spread the sauce evenly over the casserole dish and put it in the over for about 45 minutes. Top with balsamic glaze and lemon slices.
Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers
You will need:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups of button mushrooms, chopped
2 cans of blacks beans, rinsed and drained
all-purpose flour (just for dusting)
pico de gallo
1. Preheat your grill/grill pan or a broiler….a grill pan works best for these because they fall apart a little. Heat cooking spray or olive oil in a large skillet, add the onion and cook on medium until it softens. Then add the garlic, cumin and turmeric and cook down for a about a minute. Add the mushrooms stir through, cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Put the beans in a bowl and mash down with a fork, stir into the onion and mushroom mixture. Add the juice and zest of half a lime and as much cilantro as your heart desires…mine desires a lot. Toss in some salt and pepper as well to bring out all of the flavors. Let that mixture cook through for a couple of minutes then turn it off and let it cool down for several minutes so you can start forming the burgers.
3. Flour your hands and get a scoopful of the cooled mixture and shape into a flat, round burger pattie. Place on the grill pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side. They will fall apart a little bit but they are still really daaaang good :)
A side dish that is good with this is grilled pimento peppers stuffed with hummus. But remember to rinse and seed the peppers….they are super hot!!
PS a HUGE thank you for the ladies and especially Inge over at You Look Fab for writing this article about me……as much as one can stand out in a sea of mindless drones who all want to look the same, its a lonely place. This article reaffirmed my notion that a tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep and to keep being a tiger, thank you guys so much!!!
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
|top: for love and lemons ( available here) // pants: fab'rik (similar here) // shoes: stuart weitzman (available here) // jewels: vintage chanel and stella & dot|
photos by common dove photography